Tuesday, April 12, 2016

4/29/2011 The Email

Hiyah,

Time to let everyone in on what’s been going on with me medically for the month of April…and why I’ve been off the radar (and the map) for a month...  I’m telling you all via email, cause it’s a lot of info and easier to type once (yeah, I know) and answer questions based on the “same story” I’ll have to tell repeatedly.

 On Sat. 4/9, I went for my annual mammo at the local Morristown Rippel Breast Ctr .(a GREAT place to start what happens next).   On Monday the 11th, I got a call to go back in for follow-up mammos.  I’ve never been called back, so I immediately got worried.

On Tuesday the 12th, I got 50 gagillion (that mean s a LOT) mammos on my left breast only and was then sent for an ultrasound.  It was then I was told they found “a mass” that “looked cancerous” so they wanted to do an immediate biopsy.  It was a small mass, but big enough to do an ultrasound biopsy that afternoon. So we did.  Bruising, uncomfortable for a few days (and smelly after the 3-day no shower!), but relieved it’s done.

Thurs the 14th I got a call telling me something no one wants to hear, “We’re sorry to tell you, your biopsy came back positive for cancer and is malignant.” It’s called Invasive Lobular Cancer or ILC. Only 10% of women get this kind and it can very serious. So, I keep my cool on the phone and take their advice to call my OBGYN for a Breast surgeon referral. They give me a couple “specs” on the cancer too. OK, reality sets in, I get choked up, say Thank You, and hang up.  Chris was away in DC and Kurt was in school, so I was all alone with my “news.”  I could cry massively alone or continue on by making the OBGYN call.  So, I do.  My Dr. is off for the day, but I ask who they usually recommend then call that office next.  I get the appt. & ask if they will want an MRI as well & am told yes.  So I ask who to schedule that with so I can get it all over with the following week.  It’s then I get upset again and call Nancy – who comes to my rescue with the hug I so desperately needed. Thank you, Nancy. J


Following week:  Weds., 4/20, I meet with the surgeon, Dr.  Leah Gendler.  Long story short…Right breast is GOOD & Dr. said that I “have the best behaved breast cancer” I could get.  Yeah, weird, but excellent!  Here are the good things:  It’s Estrogen Receptor + 100%, Progesterone Receptor + 100% (both mean I can skip chemo), Her-2 negative (meaning non-aggressive), <1cm in size, VERY slow replicating (Ki67=<8%) & has not spread to anywhere else (like my lymph nodes). It’s stage 1A (non-lymph node) grade 2 (moderate cell growth).  So it’s operable (lumpectomy) and can be radiated afterward.


Never a dull moment…The Thurs. 4/21 MRI found 2 more spots in the left breast – smaller than the first.  One is a “satellite” of the first (<2mm), so they’ll grab that with the first lumpectomy.  The 2nd spot (<3mm) we did an MRI core biopsy on Weds. 4/27 cause they can’t see it very well with ultrasound.  That biopsy is more invasive and took much longer.  I slept the rest of the day after I was put in what I called a “Quaker binding and bra”.  I haven’t looked this small in the chest in 16 years!  So now I await these biopsy results (hopefully next week).  Chris goes to Jacksonville next week, so once again I’ll be getting results on my own. L  This time, I’m prepared and not as bummed cause I know everything’s gonna be fine.


So, lumpectomy(s) scheduled for 5/16, followed by healing, Ireland (6/13-7/6), then radiation for 6 weeks when I get back.  NO CHEMO!!!  I will also be taking a tamoxifen regiment (hormone therapy) to decrease the estrogen levels and keep any cancer from coming back.  It’s a 5-yr program and some side effects include menopause symptoms (like I wasn’t gonna get them anyway).  Lovely, but I’ll take it!!!  So, keep POSITIVE WAVES coming my way (smiles, love, prayers) and feel free to pass along my insights below!

LOVE YOU ALL!!  Will let you know the MRI biopsy & any other test results when I get them!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment