Thursday, November 3, 2011

11/3/2011 There's Always Tomorrow....

I thought radiation would be a breeze.  I thought “It doesn’t matter. It’s a piece of cake!”  Once again, I am taught that I don’t know everything and cannot predict everything either.

Radiation is a CONSTANT DAILY REMINDER of what I was diagnosed with 8 months ago.  It is a DAILY DRUDGERY of what I’ve had to go through, what I’ve missed, what I’m fighting, what EVERY WOMAN I go through this with is BATTLING. In the radiation waiting room:  I see them cry, I hear their stories, I see their fears…but I also help celebrate THEIR LAST DAY.  Of course, I am envious of them, but know my countdown is in action as well.  When Friday comes, I’ll be ALMOST halfway through.  Next week another woman will be done.  What do we do when we’re done?  We’ve been living, breathing, and eating this for MONTHS!  What do we do when it’s over?  Cry some more?

I still have residual chemo side effects (itching, swelling, moon face…) and don’t feel myself yet.  Will these all go away when radiation is over?  Will my body FINALLY PURGE those damned steroids!??!?!  Will I recognize myself next year?  Will my hair come back red again?  Yes, LOTS of questions that I have to await answers for.

As Clarice the Reindeer sings every year, http://www.xmasfun.com/Lyrics.asp?ID=66:

 There's always tomorrow,
                                     For dreams to come true,
                                    Believe in your dreams
                                    Come what may.

There's always tomorrow,
                                    With so much to do,
                                    And so little time in a day.

We all pretend
                                    The rainbow has an end
                                    And you'll be there my friend someday.

There's always tomorrow,
                                    For dreams to come true,
                                    Tomorrow is not far away.

9 comments:

  1. What we do when it is over is live - live life to the fullest.

    Now get that sharpie out with the 2012 calendar and circle June and July. We got plans and you ain't getting out of them......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I marked those months a couple weeks ago, Cuz!! Even told Chris to NOT make plans in those months till I give him the go ahead. :) I set Outlook calendar reminders in March to check the websites for the weekends involved too -- I'm PSYCHED!!!
    Sometimes writing what I'm feeling helps identify what "ails" me then I can get further help (like from YOU) in working them OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear what you're saying sis - there will always be reminders, but you are alive. Know that you kicked its ass and survived - it will be a constant reminder that you WON! The side effects of steroids will pass sooner than you think. It took me the same amount of time I was on them to purge them (9 months on and 9 months when I finally felt like my "normal" self again). Like the kitty said, "Hang in there baby..." Your lil sis loves ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU!!! You're right...the glass is half FULL!!! I had a good Friday & Saturday visiting with people -- talking about anything BUT my life. It was very therapeutic!
    More therapy when I go to Mom & Dad's this Friday for the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will stop by before heading to the shore and drop off your glasses ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool Beans! We should be there by lunch Friday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Originally we planned on 3ish, but Rachel's sick and will stay home tomorrow, so we'll probably leave earlier than we thought. Should you not be exposed to her?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if she's really sick, I won't spend time hugging her. :(

    ReplyDelete