Thursday, August 4, 2011

4/26/11 -- Who knew before "The Email"

Before the 4/29 email, VERY FEW people knew about my ILC.  It didn’t make sense to me to tell anyone till I KNEW what I had, what was coming, what answers I would need to tell everyone.  I had learned from my neighbors who are going through the chemo/radiation thing as well, that once everyone knows, everyone ASKS.  I think it got quite tiring for them to keep repeating themselves, which is why I composed my 4/29/11 email. 
Poor Mike S. He was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer that metastasized on his lower spine (yeah tumor that practically crippled him) right after his 60th birthday.  He is inspirational – BOTH he and his wonderful wife & friend, Peggy.  I’ve been close with them on the ride through it and now they are with me (even though Mike is nowhere near done with HIS treatments).  Like I said…they are beautiful people and great friends.

So, it took a couple weeks to gather my info and try to keep my secret.  Who knew at this point?  Nancy was first (as outlined in the 4/29 email), because Kurt was in school & Chris was away on business.  Next was Breda (my friend & Mother-in-Law)because she was my closest Mother distance-wise, friend, and cool-headed person who could help. When Kurt got home from school he KNEW something was up.  So, he found out next.  Poor kid.  He's taking it like a trooper!
I didn’t want to tell family because my beloved sister, Maureen, had just died less than 4 months ago.  She was only 51 and it was sudden & a shocker.  So, How traumatic and horrid would it be to find out another daughter/sister/cousin/niece was diagnosed with Breast Cancer?!?!?  Pretty much so, I figured. 
So, I thought I would at least keep it from my own Mother for a few more days, but…
       Mom’s and their children.  I can say this now, but I knew it before because of my       own Mother. Mom’s have a SPECIAL radar and connection to their offspring.  We know when one is in trouble.  While I was home on the couch, wallowing in pain & tears from the biopsy, my Mom called.  I wasn’t going to answer, but I figured I could “act well” on the phone.  It started off simple, then, “What’s wrong?  What happened?”  That’s all it took for Niagara Falls to happen again. She stayed calm & full of support & “don’t worry – yet” advice.  I made her promise not to tell anyone till I had more answers.  She promised, but I knew in the back of my head she’d tell my oldest sister, Kathy, whom I was thinking of calling soon anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment