Wednesday, August 31, 2011

8/24/11 Chemo Earthquake

Gotta scootch this one in here because it’s a funny anecdote.

Some of you may know, there was an earthquake in Virginia this day that we felt up here in NJ, http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20110823/NJNEWS/308230027/Earthquake-felt-across-Morris-County-up-down-East-Coast!!  

We had just gotten back from a week of handling  my uncle’s estate in Orlando this morning, when  I had to go to the treatment center to get IV for the horrible allergic reaction cited in my 8/24 entry. Here I am hooked up to an IV along with everyone else in the room when I feel my recliner start to rock forward and back.  Then I notice my IV pole is moving. I look behind me – wall – so no one is pushing me.  I look around the room and see everyone is now moving and rolling.  We all start to giggle and wonder why the whole building is shaking when we hear the nurses start to FLEE!  Yes, fight or flight and they left us all there hooked up to traveling IV poles, doped up on our drugs, rocking back and forth in our recliner chairs.  We were having fun at least. 

Then, of course, the shaking of the building became a little intense and we all started wondering if maybe we should unplug from the walls and flee ourselves!  All along I was telling people it was an earthquake, it had to be.  No, I wasn’t shouting it in a hysterically high-pitched voice. Heck, I was probably the most subdued once there at the moment and was now thinking of Chris!  He was in the parking lot in the car on a conference call.  The sensation started to cease and our chairs stopped racing.  The nurses came back, the little TV’s went on by each patient as they searched for Breaking News, and me?  Smiled broadly and asked, “Did you feel that out there!?!?!” when Chris came back through the treatment room door. 

1967 Xmas - probably my face today TOO!
Hey! Who says chemo can’t be spontaneously FUN?!?!   

No comments:

Post a Comment